Cold and Flu Prevention Program
Are you looking for ways to support your immune system during cold and flu season? Looking for an alternative to the regular flu shot? There is another option in cold and flu prevention. At our clinic we offer a Cold and Flu Prevention Program that includes an immune boosting natural flu shot as well as nutritional, homeopathic and herbal support to keep you healthy this winter. The natural flu shot is a safe and effective alternative to the regular flu shot. It is a combination of homeopathic medicines that activate the immune system against cold and flu viruses without exposing the person to the virus. This minimizes side effects while still protecting you from the flu viruses. This immune booster is administered by injection or orally for children. Once the medicine is given it activates the immune system and provides protection against cold and flu viruses. This protection usually lasts for the duration of the season. The natural flu shot can also be given once you are already sick as part of a treatment program.
In addition to the natural flu shot, there are other medicines that we use for our Cold and Flu Prevention Program. When used together, the patient is provided with added protection against colds and flu viruses.
- Thymuline is a homeopathic preparation that improves the function of the thymus gland. The thymus gland produces T-cells that actively seek out and destroy invading microbes like viruses as well as prevent infection.
- Influenzinum is a homeopathic preparation that activates the immune system to the currently active flu viruses as determined in the preparation in this years flu vaccine.
With so many safe and effective natural medicines available to prevent viral infections, it makes good sense to use the natural approach to prevention. This is especially true for children and the elderly who may be more susceptible to getting sick.
Additional suggestions to prevent colds and flu:
- Multivitamin/mineral formula that is of high quality and taken daily
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Garlic – Take in some form daily. If you do not like the thought of eating fresh garlic, we recommend a product called Garlitrin. Take 1 tablet daily during fall and winter
- Drink fresh ginger tea regularly in fall and winter
- Immune boosting herbs – there are many herbs that can help to prevent and fight viral and bacterial infections. Come and see one of our Naturopathic Physicians (Dr Shortt or Dr Ingram) to see which one is best for you and your family. We have immune boosting herbal formulas specifically designed for both adults and children
- Practice the basics – Hand washing regularly during the day and when you arrive home; avoid exposure to people who are sick; stay home if you get symptoms; get enough rest and avoid stress; avoid sugar and processed foods; exercise regularly and stay hydrated